Monday, March 21, 2011

I Can See Clearly Now...

that the grody busted windows have been removed! Buying windows/glass for your house is like buying tires for your car - an evil necessity that keeps you from getting the good stuff. I would have much rather spent the $$$ on something pretty and fun.

When we bought the house this big patio door was clouded over and the home owners opted to credit instead of replace - and it only took us 7 months to replace - shame shame!

Before:























(This is Gerry from Gerry's glass - he's the cheapest most reasonable in town!)

After:


Ahhh.....just makes you breathe easier, doesn't it?


In that time the kitchen window became worse, so it had to go to.

Before:


And as he replaced the right side glass in the garden window, he said - oh - look this other left pane in the garden window is bad too, only another $135?? Sure Gerry, what's another $135? An end table!?



After:

In 7-10 days when Gerry comes back I can say ahhh over this one too.

I have debated on this garden window. Once we paint the cabinets I wonder if the black trim will be too much against the creamy white. I could paint it white? My friend Gerry told me that a lot of people take them out because they let in too much cold in the winter. What do you think?

A cold 80's hole in the wall?

Or a nice light and airy herb garden is calling it's name?

7 comments:

  1. Oh how pretty and cheery to see outside again. I had some of those frosted therma pane windows in my last house. Cost a fortune to replace, but oh how nice to have it done. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had to replace one of those garden windows when we lived in our condo years ago. Same thing - fogged over like yours... If you paint your cabinets white, the black trim may stand out too much. But I would try it first and then deal with the window later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would try to keep the window, I don't think you see them much and with your gift of decorating you'll be able to make it look good. If you really hate it later, take it out but I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good, DIL!!!

    I like your Herb Growing window!!!

    Love ya,
    MIL

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a difference! We have so many old windows to replace but it does keep getting put on hold. Maybe after the kitchen remodel? lol We'll see. I love the garden window. I'd try to keep it too. Maybe using some rub and buff you can give it a brushed nickel, pewter or bronze look to coordinate better with your new kitchen? Then again, filling it will lots of herbs in pretty pots might just make the frame invisible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW, what a difference! The doors are gorgeous and the view is stunning!!!
    XO
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Save your receipts for the windows. This is the last year to get a tax credit on federal taxes for upgrading to new energy efficent things. It REALLY makes a difference. Its a good credit. We are doing extra projects because of it.

    ReplyDelete